Think about it.......

" To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation." - Yann Martel in 'Life of Pi'

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Travails of a harried commuter

Aye I am a commuter and this Sunday I felt screaming at the top of my lungs WHY? Frustrated, stressed, irritated, tired and very angry grrrrrrrrr. ……. No it wasn’t the usual megablock thingie (we have grown complacent enough to accept it as part of our lives and plan our schedules around it now. “I will meet u only after 4:00 pm today megablock u know”, “ It will take me around 45 mins to reach there…..yes its only 15 mins distance I know, but today is Sunday ..megablock..duh”).


Time: 10:30 pm
Location: Andheri
Frame of Mind: “Ah amazing program. She danced so beautifully. The sound system was good. Open air seating was good idea. Maharaj ji is too good. ………etc etc”

Time: 11:00 pm
Location: Andheri (duh)
Frame of Mind: Damn this traffic jam……why do they have to divert traffic at this hour? Ok lets just give up and walk down we will reach faster.

Time: 11:10 pm
Location Andheri station
Journey begins : Hmm lets look at the indicator…..Ah u want to go by bus ok tah dah ..bye, of course I can travel alone. Its safe dummy its Mumbai and Sunday, people have better things to do than sleep. U saw the traffic. Ok there is a fast train I will go by that. Bye.

Waiting.. waiting… Should I go by slow train instead its late it seems. Announcement: The fast train for platform 5 will arrive on platform 3 instead.
Chill I will go to platform 3. Waiting….
There comes the train. Wait its 9 coach train. Why did she announce 12 coach? That’s too far I will have to run. Run.. run.. ouch.. getoutofmyway.. pant..look out……there it goes. Oh hell. Wait whats that on platform 5 another fast train. Why didn’t they announce that. Should I run for it

Halfway up the stairs…..no that’s the horn….bye bye train

Now what…..I will just wait up here on the bridge and see what comes first and get into that.
Beeep da beep ….yaah mum. Yes I am alone. Yes I am alright. Of course I will come alone. No there are people out here…I am unaccompanied but not alone out here..phew. No I am not scared. Yah I am alright. I missed two trains. Still I should be home by 12:00. Nah don’t worry. Yes I will call u every 15 mins ok. Don’t wait up for me for dinner. I will serve myself. Please stop buggin me I am not a kid ok. I can take care of myself. Oh for goodness sake. Oh there is a slow train. No there is no fast train I am getting into the slow train bye. BYE.

Run…down …stairs . Oh goodie its 9- coach I am standin at the right place. Here comes the train. Wait, wheres the ladies compartment. Hey wheres the ladies. Hi (fellow lonely commuter smile). U r lost as me hannh. Oh the ladies becomes gents after 11:00. The other ladies…its too far. Shall we squeeze into gents. Damn its so crowded. Ugh that lout stinks. He’s drunk. I am not getting into that. Bye bye next train.

Grr…thats 3 trains now. Hey look at that, that’s a fast train on platform 5….again no announcement. What the hell. Me too I didn’t see it comin form afar. I don’t want to run up those stairs again.

Lets just move up to the front. Hope that stays ladies after 11:00.
Waiting ….waiting..

Oh that’s another train……Such empty ladies. Lets just sit together. This compartment stinks. Whos that ugh…a drunk sleeping….lets go to those other seats. Why isn’t there a police. Isn’t that the norm a police in ladies compartment at night. Whats the time 11:45 already. There a policeman getting in….about time he did.

Drunk guy out…… more ladies in………phew …..thats a relief.

Time reached home: 12:45

No comments: