Think about it.......

" To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation." - Yann Martel in 'Life of Pi'

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Nightmares!

I know this is not a great way to start a blog but I have the flu an I am bored.

Ya ya I know I should be resting and stuff ……….but every time I close my eyes I see a nightmare, cos of my illness I guess.

Not that I regularly get nightmares, hmm………too many horror movies I guess. This last one was rather filmy...... movie anyone?

As I lay down to rest in the afternoon I dreamt that I had gone to a friends place to visit (which friend, no idea!). She lived in some remote village where trains just about passed by. As I got down the train I was feeling slightly sick and tired. I am all ready to go back cos it just does not feel fine but my friend dismisses it as traveling fatigue.

The village is beautiful lush green and set up against the backdrop of a huge straight backed cliff covered by dense forest which is err…….spooky (what else!). The village has a small population and the people all seem very friendly. But I am not really feeling good, my head is throbbing and I am feeling dazed.

My friend takes me to her house which is like an old time cottage with the huge cliff looming above. In front of the house is a courtyard with a swimming pool kind water body and the water runs in from a small outlet in the cliff. In the middle is a small piece of dry earth on which a small fire rages. There is a fancy bridge made from one bank of the water pool to other. I am starting to fee a bit hazy now, so my friend shows me to my room.

Suddenly I wake up and its night already and there is a strange kind of ritual going in the courtyard. My head is throbbing even more and I can feel my body weighing down, everything is still slightly hazy. My friend then reveals to me that this place is spooked by haunted souls and her father is a exorcist, and what is going on is a ritual exorcism that happens atleast once a week. They chose to live in this place cos its beautiful and they love the challenge. So I watch the ritual the whole village (which is not really a lot of people) seems to have come and they seem to be throwing pieces of wood in the fire at the centre of the water pool with accurate aim. The fire is blazing and ritual chantings and prayers are going on (what else!). The ritual requires us to circle around the water body and when I reach trhe bridge I feel a tremendous weight inside me, I just can’t seem to move and everything seems to be more distant and hazy. I finally cross the bridge with some help from my friend who manages to push me back to my room. I am really exhausted.

Next day I wake up and the its bright and clear day but the sun hurts my eyes and still things seem to be bit hazy. My friend’s family have all turned out in bright red clothes and I in a dull pink pajama seem completely out of place. My friend tells me they r goin to play tennis today (ain’t the French Open goin on?) but in a group of 8 (wonder). I am placed on the bridge with a racquet in hand and I again feel the tremendous weight and I can barely lift the racquet, I finally collapse. My friend’s dad looks at me and declares me possessed and the next thing I know its dark again and the strange ritual is goin on except this time I am the one being umm………exorcised. I have visions of ghosts, mummies, grave yards…..(all the usual horror movie stuff) and I am scared. I feel like running into the forests, climbing up the cliff and standing at the very edge. I peer into the pool from above and I can feel myself hurling into it at tremendous speed. Suddenly there’s a flash of light and I can see a red coloured ghostly image floating in front of me. The exorcist my friend’s father is actually fighting it with an empty tube of pain gel (weird!). With a swish of the ummm……..tube…… he throws the ghost into the forest. But I am still feeling all nauseous and heavy and hazy and my heads throbbing ever more. Then my friend’s father declares that there is more than one ghost at play and to exorcise them all will be a tremendous challenge.

My friend and her family pleas him to (ahem!) let a more experienced exorcist take over but he refuses. He asks his son standing behind me to help (and then I remember him trying to make passes at me through the stay). But, the son refuses he is scared. Then there is a cycle of exorcism and ghosts and empty gel tubes and it goes on and on until ……..the last most powerful ghost (of course!) takes away the father with him to the forest. The whole family is stupefied and I am still dazed, I fall asleep. Come morning I can see myself standing at the railway station, luggage in hand, my friend is saying its all right it wasn’t my mistake, and her father always wanted to die a martyr. I am still feeling nauseous and heavy and my head still throbs and the train is leaving the platform……..when I suddenly feel that maybe there is still one more ghost left inside me and………… as I look through the glass shutters of the train window I can see not my friends or her family but all ghosts all red……staring and waving back at me!

That’s it …then I woke up…….guilty, head throbbing, tired, still sick……..and definitely not wanting to shut my eyes again.

Some nightmare or what!

No comments: